Friday, July 19, 2013

At Our Prime!

Prime numbers are considered the building blocks for natural numbers. Prime numbers are numbers that can be divided, without a remainder, only by itself and 1. Numbers such as 2, 3, 5, 7, and 11are all examples of prime numbers. It is important to remember that 0 and 1 are not considered prime numbers.

One way that I have found to prove whether a number is prime or not is to first try to divide it by 2 and see if you get a whole number. If you do get a whole number, it isn't a prime number. If you don't get a whole number, next try dividing it by prime numbers, such as 3, 5, 7, 11 and so on, always dividing by a prime number.
 
The next important definition to know is Composite numbers. A number that can be divided evenly by numbers other than 1 or itself is a composite number. A couple numbers that are examples of composite numbers are 6 and 12.

I am a huge believer in having fun in the classroom. I feel like kids don't enjoy school as much as I used to because the fun seems to be less and less. I don't think it is a good idea to have a party every day in the classroom, but I do think it is important to make learning fun. I found a fun video that both of my kids watched with me and they both enjoyed it. They told me that I need to add that to my blog. So here it is..........I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!



No comments:

Post a Comment